This application, named "Wake on LAN Utility", let the user send a Wake-on-LAN network message (also called "Magic Packet") in order to turn
a remote network device on. The remote network device must be properly configured to be turned on or to be awakened by a Wake-on-LAN network message.
For further details about Wake-on-LAN, please refer to Wikipedia.
The main window of this application shows a list of network devices, also called "hosts", managed by the user through this application.
Main window includes all the following items, please refer to following image about number:
- "Host" : this is the host name. In this application, the host name is unique as it is the primary key of the internal database.
- "MAC Address" : this is the MAC address. The supported MAC addresses are "XXXXXXXXXXXX", "XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" and "XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX".
- "IP Address" : this is the IPv4 address. Supported IP address is "xxx:xxx:xxx:xxx", but also URL (such as "myaddress.mydomain.ext") is supported.
IPv6 addresses are not supported. Comma digit "," is not supported (it is used as a separator for importing/exporting CSV files).
- "Port" : port number - range between 0 and 65535.
- Tap this green icon to send the "Wake-on-LAN" message to this host.
- Tap this red icon to delete this host from the database.
- Tap this green icon to add another host to the database.
- Tap this white icon to send the "Wake-on-LAN" message to all listed hosts.
- Tap this three-dots icon to open the application's menu.
The main menu includes the following menu items :
|Settings||With this item you can sort all the hosts included in main window and to change the current app's theme.|
|Database||With this item you can erase or compact the main database and to export/import to/from a CSV file.|
|Print||With this item, users with, at least, Android 4.4 can print a list of hosts onto a printer or a PDF file.|
|Help||This help page.|
|About||This page displays informations regarding the author of this application.|
|Exit||Exit this application.|
This page is divided into two groups named "Database Ordered By" and "Theme".
With group "Database Ordered by" you can choose the current sort method and the related ascending/descending mode. Default is "No Order" for both options.
Please take note that if you want to enable a sorting method, you must change both the two options. It is a non-sense to change only the first option (for example
"Host Name"), and keep "No order" in the second option. When you select a sorting method, you must also set the ascending/descending mode.
With the second group, named "Theme", you can select the current theme for all windows of this application. Option "Use dark theme" is disabled by default.
When enabled, the application displays all windows using a dark theme.
This page is divided into two groups named "Database Options" and "Import/Export CSV File".
With group "Database Options" you can erase all the main database or compact the main database.
With the second group, named "Import/Export CSV File", you can respectively import a CSV file into database or export the database onto a CSV file.
In the middle of the buttons, you can select the icon displaying a yellow folder, to open the "Folder Window" (see below) in order to change the current folder on device's internal storage.
Current storage folder is shown on bottom of this group.
- The "Import" button does not erase the current database. In this way you can add the content of CSV file into main database.
- During importing task, all duplicated hosts will be discarded - please remember that "host" key is unique inside database.
- Since Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), users are asked to grant permissions in order to let this application access the internal storage.
- If you prefer to export the database to a .PDF file, you can select the "Print Menu" (see below) in order to print to a .PDF file.
The folder window shows a list of folder included into the internal storage.
Folder window includes all the following items, please refer to following image about number:
- "Home Button" : Tap this button to go to storage's root folder.
- "Back Button" : Tap this button to go to parent folder.
- "Add Folder" : Tap this button to add a new folder.
- "Refresh Button" : Tap this button to refresh the folders' list.
- Tap this frame to select the current folder and to exit.
This page displays a table of all hosts included into the main database. To print, please select the printer icon placed on top-right corner
and follow all required steps.
- Please note that printing feature is supported only since Android 4.4 (KitKat).
- This feature uses the Android's printing service. You have to add a printer in Android settings in order to properly print.
- Select "PDF files" on printer list if you want to print/export to a PDF file.
This application supports four different widgets. Each widget includes two buttons in order to send a Wake-On-Lan message and to change the widget's settings.
On figured image, the two buttons are placed on left side of the image, the first one at the top (green triangle), the other one at the bottom (the icon with a wrench and a hummer).
- Please take note that widgets are not linked to main database, anyway you may use the list of hosts included in database when you have to input required data. If you input widget's data not included inside database, there is no way to make a backup of your widget's data. Please remember this matter to avoid problems.
- Please take note that if you uninstall this application, all created widgets will be automatically removed by Android system.
- Widgets may be created also inside Android's lock-screen, but only until Android 4.4 (KitKat). Since Android 5.0 (Lollipop), lock-screen widgets are no more supported.
Landscape mode and Wide-screen Tablets
This application provides with full support for landscape mode and for wide-screen tablets. Many windows of this application have been adapted to support landscape modes and wide-screen tablets for a better usability and user-friendliness.
On figured image, we have a sample of what we can have if using landscape mode or a wide-screen tablet - screenshot has been taken on a tablet Nexus 10 under a virtual machine.
Please refer to above-mentioned image about number:
- This is the toolbar that replaces the menu. With this toolbar you can easily access to all the features of this application.
- The hosts list is displayed as a table. You can simply tap on each header of the table to easily sort all the items of the list according to the column you have selected.